*********************************************************

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Week 1


I really like the idea of blogging every week about Kinsey's development and activities.  I am excited to keep track of everything and since I am on the Internet all the time, this will be a great opportunity to document everything.

We brought her home on Saturday, March 27th and my mom (Grammy) flew in a few hours later from Florida. 

I thought I was going to be super stressed out the first week, but I wasn't at all.  It also helped that Grammy could watch her while David and I napped.  David and I also decided after two nights that we would take shifts during the night for this first month while he is off work.  The first shift goes until about 2 am and the second shift starts.  I started with the second shift and last night was my first night doing the first shift.  Both are pretty equal.  She only sleeps about 2 1/2 hours at a time at night and we space her feedings about every three hours.  I can't at all sleep when she fidgets and makes her baby sleep noises so I am pretty much awake for my whole shift.  During the day she has at least one stretch of sleeping for about 4 hours.  I'm looking forward to the 4 hour stretch switching to night time instead of day time!  She loves to sleep with her arms stretched out to the side or above her head. 



The first several days she loved to be swaddled and held on her side, but swaddling does not seem to be her thing anymore.  Occasionally she takes a pacifier to soothe her but not very often.  A while ago we watched a very simple video, Happiest Baby on the Block and learned some great techniques for soothing her.  I highly recommend that video as a starting point because it gave us some tools that worked.  Even if they won't work as well as she starts getting older, it helped us feel much more calm and capable when we were in the hospital and when we came home the first few days.

We had our first well baby check up on base on Tuesday.  She weighed 7 lbs 10 oz which was normal.  We got something for her diaper rash that cleared up a couple days later.  Everything checked out fine!  Yay for a healthy baby so far.

I love her little baby smiles when she sleeps!

2 comments:

cara said...

So glad things are going well! Happy Easter to you all!

Dr. S. said...

So you've really done it! (I just got back) And here I thought you were just looking for an excuse to take off work!
She looks great!
Dr. S.