*********************************************************

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Update on the Book

I think I have put down Men and Women:  Enjoying the Difference by Larry Crabb for now because I'm not finding it to be what I'm interested in at the moment.  I did really find good information in the first half of the book.  Larry Crabb described selfishness in such a way that it helped me desire to be more selfless.  I think we are all generally selfish but are capable of selfless motives and actions.  I want my motives and actions to be more selfless.  Doesn't that sound like more fun?

I started another book today, Afflictions by Edith Schaeffer.  So far I'm very intrigued.  It deals with how to live amidst afflictions, whether large or small.  My initial reaction to a tragedy or hardship is to ask, "why?" 

Here are some quotes from the first chapter:

"God gave us the possibility of tears to help express sorrow at the reality of battle wounds in the midst of life.

"...the question of Why? is without an answer for our finite minds, except in the concept of the total picture of what history has been since the Fall."

"The infinite, personal Living God has done what our minds cannot grasp.  If we could understand all that God understands, we would no longer be finite and human."


Schaeffer, Edith. Afflictions. Grand Rapids, MI: Raven's Ridge Books, 1993.



1 comment:

Katie Sue said...

Sounds like a great book. Keep sharing quotes--I especially like the "why" quote--they're good food for thought.