*********************************************************

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Flashing Red Lights

You know what it means when the red light is flashing, right? Stop, look both ways, then proceed with caution if the coast is clear.

I had a sudden awareness that the red light is flashing for me. That is a good thing, I think. In the past I usually just have my green-light-only glasses on so I get an idea and I jump on it and go for it (kind of like this run-on sentence--right Katie :) I go for what I "feel" in my heart is appealing. No stopping and sometimes panic sets in as I approach the intersection hoping everything will come together so that I can make it safely through.

Anyways, the red light is flashing because I have been thinking about going back to school to become a nurse practitioner. With my green-only goggles on, I would keep pursuing this because it sounds like a job more suited to me, they have online programs, and the sooner I get in the sooner my career can head in the direction I want. There is nothing inherently wrong with all of these thoughts. But what happens next is I start thinking and planning all day long about how this will happen, when I need to do this or that, how will school fit in with work and family...etc.etc.etc. So my mind will go a million miles an hour for the next two or three years while the process continues. BUT, somehow I am not wearing those goggles today.

So I saw the flashing red light. And that is comforting. It's not rush rush through the intersection. It is approach slowly, be alert, decide when/which way to go, and the proceed. No panic required.

Thank you, God, for opening my eyes to the world of flashing red lights.

1 comment:

Katie Sue said...

Good analogy Sarah! Sometimes I think that's so important, to slow and wait, and yet so hard. I applaud your willingness to see what God has! And I applaud your abilities to use the run-on as a form of literary license. No crime there! :-D