*********************************************************

Friday, March 21, 2008

Life is So Precious

I was meant to be a nurse. Words to describe it: Stressful, fulfilling, depressing, hectic, never-ending, sweet.

People live and people die under my watch. When someone dies, it's like life stops for a minute, and I see a man in front of me who lived a whole life, the ups and the downs. One day that man will be my Dad, my husband, or maybe a son. And I will be the family member coming in to see the lifeless body lying on the bed, limp and gray. No longer will I be able to speak with him, spend time with him, or show him love. In front of me will be just a body, soon to be put in a body bag and wheeled down to the morgue.

Caring for the sick and the dying makes me think a lot more often about the relationships I have and what I focus my attention on. Because life on earth is not eternal; time here is limited. I can't really grasp what Heaven will be like, but I know what earth is. I think right now of the minutes passing by as I am lying here writing. Every minute seems like a minute closer to death right now. I'm learning what it means to focus on the joys of life rather than on all the things I have to complain about.

Life is so precious.

No comments: