*********************************************************

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rearranging Life

My three readers out there probably know about David's somewhat recent narcolepsy diagnosis.  In a nutshell, it's difficult for him to function during the day and in the evening.  He can manage through a workday, and if absolutely necessary he can push out a little schoolwork at night.  That's about it.

Before we knew that he even had something seriously going on, we just kept trying to pursue managing depression, because that's all we could assume it was.  Five years later, we've finally figured out that it's not depression, it's narcolepsy.

When I was in nursing school I thought narcolepsy was an interesting idea; the idea of suddenly falling asleep anywhere intrigued me. 

In real life (we all know that nursing school is NOT real life ;) narcolepsy is debilitating.  I'm watching it happen before my eyes.  It's difficult to watch.  I can't empathize with him, only sympathize.  My latest role is learning how to best support him with this disability.  It's also going to take some serious trust in God for how we will proceed financially if what is best for David is to cut back on work, or have alternative arragements made at work for him.  I'm looking at how we will potentially revamp finances, living arragements, etc., if necessary.  The one thing I have SURELY understood is that Jesus and family come first, and anything after that is an extra blessing.  Working a job will be an extra blessing.  I've lived my whole life with the priority of life being working to make money to provide for myself and family, then being free to do whatever God is calling me to after that.  ALL BACKWARDS!  We should arrange our lives so that Jesus and family come first, then get a job that can accommodate the first two priorites (sometimes the job is part of the first two priorities, but sometimes not). 

I need to pray faithfully for healing, trusting, and patience.  Will you please pray along with me?

4 comments:

shawnanautumnwhite said...

wow Sarah - will definitely be praying for you and your family! If we can help in any way please let us know!

cara said...

Praying for you and your family friend!

drfrancisco said...

Praying!! We love you guys and if there is ANYTHING we can do for you please please please let us know. Miss you!

Tami said...

Holding you all up in prayer. God is faithful and His timing is perfect. I trust that He is in total control of the situation regarding David's health and your lively hood. God is good and I'm glad that you are trusting Him in this very difficult time. Thank Him everyday for what He's doing in your life even when you don't see it and trust me I know that's hard for any of us to do. God bless, Tami