*********************************************************

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Job


Well I'm two weeks into my new job at UMC. I'm working on a cardiovascular floor, but we get a lot of other types of patients also. I've only had two days on the floor because the first week and part of the next week were all classes. It's going to take a little bit of time before I get back into the swing of things as far as working on an inpatient unit. The pace is fast, the patients are sick, and the computer charting is tedious. The good thing is they stick to their 1:4 nurse to patient ratio. Occasionally each nurse must take a 5th patient if they are short a nurse, but 5 is still better than 7 or 8. It's also nice to only work 3 days every week. I don't think I'm going to love the job because of the stress, but I see it as a necessary step in my career. I'm glad I took a little time off the floor in my last job but it's better for me to go back to the floor for another year or year and a half. It's my new year's resolution to stay at UMC for 12 months!

No comments: